Friday, June 29, 2012

Jesus on the Road



“Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.” Matthew 21:21,22.

So there we all were, getting off the back of a pick-up truck, having just ridden a few miles up and down the rocky, pitted terrain to El Progreso, El Salvador. We stood the whole way, holding on to the sides of the truck. There were periods of nervous laughter mixed with those of quiet reflection. I’m sure each one of us had a picture in our minds of what this day would look like.  I tried to picture the road we would help to build/rebuild on this mission trip, but when I stepped off that truck, that picture shattered and my heart started to beat through my chest. What if I’m not strong enough?

There wasn’t a nice little country path before me, not the one I meagerly underestimated in my mind. No, there was a mountainside. Thick bedrock lay under our feet. A couple dozen locals were already there, as curious as each one of us. I’m sure they were also wondering what this day would look like; all of us working together towards one cause: a road in and out of El Progreso.

As the work day began, we all learned to somehow become one team. The road began to slowly take shape, (Okay, so it didn’t just “slowly take shape,” there was hard labor, I would say “labor-camp” hard labor- I don’t think I’ve ever been so physically engaged in an endeavor in my life!)  Through the pick-axing of the bedrock, the carrying of the very large rocks up and down the mountain, the 5 gallon buckets of wet sand and cement, all by hand, (male female, didn’t matter), the road presented itself. As each day ended, more and more of the road was completed.

After what seemed like an eternity, we were standing at the dedication, hand in hand with our brothers and sisters of El Progreso and beyond. Mind you, it had only been three-and-a-half days since we started, and we all looked around at a miracle. The children were giggling and playing on that road that all of our hands built together. The natural, the working of our hands and feet and backs, was mixed with the supernatural, the Spirit of God, who connected us all in a mysterious way. 

I believe that miracles are all around us. I believe that I am a miracle, and you are a miracle. When is the last time you thought, “oh, I am going to make my heart beat?” It is the hand of God that makes your heart beat, and it was the hand of God that visualized and created that road to El Progreso.
There are amazing moments in our lives where we get to be part of something huge, bigger than ourselves, but there are so many small, powerful miracles that happen every day, every moment of our lives. If you can, take a moment now to close your eyes, and breathe in, and then out, slowly. There, that was a miracle. Find your pulse; did you find it? Another miracle. You are a miracle.

Cheryl Denise Wyatt

Prayer: God, we are so busy and take for granted all of the life and love and miracles around us every moment.  Help us to slow down and see….see the amazing awesomeness of your creation and timing and wonderment. You are God, and I am not. Please remind me of that daily. Amen

My roommate Donna & I

Part of the road we all worked on.
Cross at a home we visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment